During the coronavirus pandemic, shoppers did not risk going to stores, because they were afraid of being infected. Many clients of large chains had begun to order food and groceries home more often. In the summer of 2020, Delivery Club entered into a partnership agreement with the Magnit federal chain. They planned to launch express deliveries.
The client needed a new mobile application. Delivery Club already has a main application through which customers order food. They needed an option for pickers that could be easily integrated with the existing app.
Developed a Kotlin application for Android. The buyer entered the main application and collected the goods in the basket – selected the quantity or weight (for example, 300g of cheese). As soon as the client placed an order, the picker received a notification in their application on their smartphone. It was necessary to come up with a system in which the client placed an order, and the picker immediately saw it and went to collect the products. After that, they coordinate everything with the client, who remotely paid for the purchase. Everything had to be easy for the order to be delivered quickly.
The picker did not need to write down anything and clarify the details. All of the information was available in one place. If there were questions or the product in the store was out of stock, the picker could contact the customer through the application. The client paid for the order directly in the application. Payment notifications were sent there as well.
We had to make it on time for the official release of express deliveries. Therefore, it took only a month to create the product. We were only engaged in development. The design was client-side, and so was the back-end. It was made on the Mail.ru stage server. Our team did not have access to it. That is, we could not test how the application worked.
Development was carried out through GitHub: as soon as the client’s team posted a part of the code, we were promptly involved in the work. If there were pauses on the other side, we had to wait. Testing was carried out one week prior to release. We handed out 10 devices to pickers - everyone noted that the application is convenient and understandable.
The hardest parts were the deadline and a “blind” scheme for working with the backend. But all this kept us in good shape.
We agreed on the data type, discussed the specification and how to transfer the data. Intermediate builds were sent to the customer’s side. Feedback was received from there as well.
To meet the deadline, we introduced a fixed command. In previous projects, the team of developers could change: first, some were involved, then others. But the same people worked on the product in this case.
“We appointed a team leader who controlled everything, a lead developer, in whose work no one could interfere, and other specialists. Each had their own role in the team. Perhaps thanks to this division, we completed the project almost on time. The deadline had to be shifted by a week. But this was due to pauses on the customer’s side, not ours. ”
We handed over all the developments to the client. Next, the application will be worked on by their team. The customer was satisfied. We completed our task: we helped to do an important part of the work as quickly as possible.
Now we are making a new product – an administrative panel for managing the accounts of pickers and shops.
The pickers of a particular store saw the list of orders. The picker himself chooses which order to take.