The client had an outdated mobile app for iOS and Android. Users relied on it to control the “smart home’s” systems like lighting, heating, equipment in the sauna and pool. It allowed users to receive data from sensors and video cameras to monitor the situation.
The client asked to improve its performance and expand its functionality.
We evaluated the task and realized that it is better to write a new application. We developed it from scratch on a new server platform for two operating systems: iOS and Android.
The control panel is convenient and intuitive. The user can set the operating time of heating devices, adjust the temperature, humidity and other parameters.
They can also set a scenario of work - simultaneous switching on of heating devices, lighting, etc. The scenario is activated with one click of a button.
Development took 7 months. First, we drew up the technical assignment with the customer, in which they described the new architecture, database structure, the necessary functionality and design. Then we went directly to the development stage.
We tested the application using a test bench. It portrayed several different devices that needed to be connected to the application. It was installed on their gadgets with different operating systems.
The hardest part was moving the customer base to the new application. It was necessary to synchronize actions with administrators from Moscow in order to transfer domains. And also explain to users how to upgrade to a new application. It was necessary to make sure that a situation did not arise when the old no longer works, and the new is not available.
We have developed an algorithm of actions in six stages.
1. Set up manual updating of applications on the markets.
2. Set up a server environment so that market moderators can test the functionality of the application.
3. We waited for the administrator to transfer the domains to the new server.
4. Established the release of applications in the App Store and Google Play.
5. We informed our colleagues from Moscow about this.
6. They sent a newsletter to users informing them that they needed to download a new application or update the old one.
As a result, the users smoothly switched to the new application. There were no problems.
“ When we went to “combat” mode, we realized that the server will soon burn out. There were negotiations with the customer, and the latter strengthened it a little, added one more core to the server. It got a little better, but we had to conduct the main optimization on our side: in processing messages from equipment. We found and reproduced the conditions in the code under which power overrun occurred when more than 30 devices were connected at the same time. We hired a technical director to set up a new load monitoring system. “
We developed an application for two platforms and posted it in App Store and Google Play. Users have received a notification that a new version of the application has appeared and have successfully switched to it.